Southampton, Porsche

Sports Center

Apr 3, 2012 9:39 AMPublication: The East Hampton Press & The Southampton Press

Canes Almost Top Shoreham; ESM's Curley Could Be Out For Season

Apr 3, 2012 9:39 AM

The Westhampton Beach boys lacrosse team split its two games last week, losing 7-6 at home to Shoreham/Wading River in double overtime on Friday after winning 10-5 at Babylon on March 28.

Though it is a Class C team, Shoreham/Wading River remains one of the top squads in Division II and Westhampton Beach went toe to toe with the Wildcats. At the end of three quarters, Shoreham was up by just a goal, 6-5.

Both teams played a scoreless fourth quarter until, with 16 seconds remaining on the clock, junior Hurricane Casey Hickey scored on a skip-pass from fellow junior Jack Murphy to tie things up and force overtime. Both teams failed to find the back of the net in the first overtime, so they played a sudden victory period.

With 58 seconds remaining in that frame, Shoreham’s Evan Purdy scored the game-winning goal off a cross-crease assist from Troy Miller.

“Anytime they would score we were able to come back and put a goal in,” Westhampton Beach head coach Drew Peters said. “We consistently fought back throughout the game and to score with 16 seconds left to force overtime was great. We played very well defensively, too. To hold a team like Shoreham to just six goals in regulation—that’s great.”

Hickey scored two goals in the loss while Murphy had a goal and an assist. Sophomore Evan Gagne had three assists, senior Scott Martin had a goal and an assist, and seniors T.J. Murphy and Kevin Dean each scored a goal. Junior Brian Corrigan made 14 saves in goal.

Dean scored 10 goals over two games last week, but Shoreham was able to keep him in check throughout their contest. “They were smart covering up the crease pretty well and that’s where Kevin plays,” Peters said. “Shoreham is one of the better teams in the league. They make good adjustments. Still, Kevin played a good, hard game.”

Against Babylon, Westhampton Beach was able to minimize its turnovers and put forth a strong team effort. The Canes led 5-2 at the half and doubled their scoring output in the second half.

Hickey scored three goals and had two assists while Dean netted five goals. Martin and Jack Murphy picked up a goal each with Murphy assisting on three other scores.

The starting defense, which includes seniors Cody Olsen and Brandon Maloney, and sophomore Liam Lewis, had another great game. And junior Brian Culhane, who was switched to a long-pole defenseman, has been giving the defense a boost as well.

Because his entire starting defense from last season graduated, Peters thought it would take a few weeks for the new players to gel on the field.

“I knew we were going to be good in goal with Brian [Corrigan], but we had lost that nucleus around him,” he said. “I knew we had guys that could play—whether or not they could come together and play as well as they had been, I was just unsure of that. To their credit, they’re playing very well so far.”

Westhampton Beach now stands at 3-1 overall, 2-1 in Division II, with 107.07 power points.

Eastport South Manor

The Sharks lacrosse team suffered a huge blow when senior Ryan Curley went down awkwardly toward the end of a 13-6 home victory over Huntington on March 28, fracturing a bone in his hand. Curley, who was an All-American honorable mention last season, could be out up to eight weeks.

It is the second year in a row that ESM has had to deal with a big injury early in the season. Before last season even started, then-senior Colin Flaherty broke his wrist and ended up barely playing.

“We’ll see how it progresses. We hope to get him back at some point,” ESM head coach Kevin Huff said about Curley. “But we’re going to proceed as if we’re not going to get him back. Last year, Colin Flaherty broke his wrist and never came back, so I’m not going to spend another season of hoping.”

In the game that Curley got hurt in, ESM led from start to finish. They led 9-4 by halftime and outscored Huntington 4-2 in the second half to seal the victory. Tyler Aki had two goals and two assists and Curley, before going down, had a goal and three assists.

In its first complete game without Curley, ESM snagged a victory over Elwood/John Glenn, defeating the Knights on their home field 12-11 in overtime.

The Sharks jumped out to a 4-0 lead to start the game before Glenn came storming back, cutting their deficit to 6-5 at the half. The teams played even in the second half and it took a late goal from Glenn to force overtime. Anthony Sontagata scored the game-tying goal for the Knights with 19 seconds left in regulation.

Tom Kenneally scored on a cross-crease feed from Aki with 1:38 remaining in the first overtime, and the Sharks improved their record to 4-0 overall to start the season. They are 2-0 in Division II with 120.00 power points.

1  |  2  >>  

You have read 1 of 7 free articles this month.

Yes! I'll try a one-month
Premium Membership
for just 99¢!

Already a subscriber? LOG IN HERE

Southampton Animal Shelter, Unconditional Love, Adoption