WELCOME GUEST  |  LOG IN
United Nations Federal Credit Union, Denim & Diamonds, Dockers, Fundraiser
27east.com

Story - News

Oct 21, 2015 9:18 AMPublication: The Southampton Press

Southampton Town Trustees And Planning Board Removed From CPI Suit

Oct 21, 2015 10:08 AM

The Southampton Town Trustees and Town Planning Board have both been removed as defendants in a lawsuit filed by neighbors opposed to the Canoe Place Inn project in Hampton Bays.

They had no reason to be included in the suit, State Supreme Court Justice William Rebolini said in a decision on October 19. Although the two boards will no longer be included in the legal proceedings, the suit against the Southampton Town Board, seeking to stop the development along the Shinnecock Canal area, continues to make its way through the courts.

The justice noted that the plaintiffs never demonstrated that the Town Trustees or Planning Board had any legal duty or took any action regarding the proposal or the change of zone, which was approved by the Town Board.

The lawsuit was filed in May by a group of Hampton Bays residents known as the Shinnecock Neighbors, challenging the Southampton Town Board’s approval of the CPI project to develop townhouses on the eastern shore of the Shinnecock Canal. They say the project will create too much density and add too many people and cars to the area.

The CPI project has been in the works for several years, and earlier this year developers Gregg and Mitchell Rechler were granted permission to construct the 37 townhouses on 4.5 acres on the canal’s eastern shoreline. The original Canoe Place Inn will also be restored into a 25-room inn, with guest cottages and a 300-seat catering hall, all on 5.6 acres.

This week, Southampton Town Trustee President Edward Warner Jr. said that he was happy the Trustees were being removed from the lawsuit, saying they were not involved in any of the decision-making process for the CPI project.

“We really didn’t have a dog in that fight,” he said. “Before the lawsuit happened, we were never given any documents to look at, so we basically just opted out. So, in that sense, I am glad that we are out of that lawsuit. We don’t need any more lawsuits to be involved in.”

Planning Board Chairman Dennis Finnerty also said he was happy not to be included, but declined to comment further, saying he had not been officially informed of any decision.

Attorney for the neighbors Jennifer Juengst, Town Supervisor Anna Throne-Holst and Town Attorney Tiffany Scarlato, did not return calls seeking comment on Tuesday.

You've read 1 of 7 free articles this month.

Already a subscriber? Sign in

I guess these neighbors prefer to look at dilapidated buildings. Enjoy.
By HamptonDad (218), Hampton Bays on Oct 22, 15 5:36 PM
1 member liked this comment
knock them down and leave it vacant.

By clamdigger (79), Quogue on Jun 1, 16 4:47 PM
8k run & 3 mile walk, Agawam Park, Southampton Rotary Club fundraiser