Lawn Doctor, Hamptons, Lawn Care, Mosquito Control, Tick Control. Lawn Maintenance

Feb 21, 2014 9:39 AMPublication: The Southampton Press

Police: Couple Left Children Alone In Car While They Went Shopping In Hampton Bays

Feb 25, 2014 2:58 PM

An East Hampton couple was arrested and accused of leaving their two young children unattended in a car in Hampton Bays for approximately an hour while they went shopping at a department store last week, according to authorities.

Southampton Town Police arrested Adrian Coria, 32, and his wife, Bertha Sanchez-Marquez, 31, last Thursday, February 20, and charged both with two counts of endangering the welfare of a child, a misdemeanor.

Police responded to the Macy’s parking lot off Montauk Highway in Hampton Bays at 4:45 p.m. after a 911 call reported that a young boy and girl were left alone in a car. Upon their arrival about 15 minutes later, officers said they found a 3-year-old boy and an 8-year-old girl sitting in the car, which was not running. The outside temperature was approximately 39 degrees at the time, according to authorities.

Officers tracked down Mr. Coria and Ms. Sanchez-Marquez inside Macy’s at about 5:30 p.m. before arresting and transporting them to police headquarters in Hampton Bays for processing. The children’s uncle picked them up from police headquarters later that evening, and authorities notified Child Protective Services of the incident.

Mr. Coria and Ms. Sanchez-Marquez were later released on appearance tickets and both are scheduled to be arraigned on Wednesday, March 19, in Southampton Town Justice Court.

I am sure its just a cultural misunderstanding.
By C Law (342), Water Mill on Feb 21, 14 11:57 AM
mucho frio acqui, los ninos on gusto
By bigfresh (4384), north sea on Feb 21, 14 9:01 PM
I hope Child Protective Services were contacted.
By Etians rd (527), Southampton on Feb 22, 14 9:16 AM
what does their ethnicity have to do with this ? i am sure a white couple would have been given a warning and let go.
By wmdwjr (76), east hampton on Feb 22, 14 4:15 PM
Why are you sure of that? I have seen other instances where parents have been arrested in similar situations.

By bb (884), Hampton Bays on Mar 2, 14 7:46 PM
Its not a color thing, people do now get arrested for leaving thier kids in the car while they go shopping. Times are different...back when I was kid, no one thought twice about leaving the kids in the car. These days its called child endangerment. Back then it was called I need to do my groceries in peace.
By pstevens (406), Wilmington on Mar 5, 14 1:05 PM
Lets here it for Southampton PD. It only took the 15 minutes to respond from a mile away. Good thing no one was really in any danger. Ah that being said WTF is wrong with this town. I got left in the car frequently when I was a kid and I grew up just fine. Who ever called the police needs to mind there own business. Now these parents are arrested and dragged through the mud for nothing. Next thing you know I am going to get arrested for leaving my dog in my truck, by some nosey dipsh*t with more ...more
By Corwin1879 (37), Southampton on Mar 7, 14 7:26 AM
It depends on how old the children were, any child over the age of 13, then that should be ok, but any under 13 DO NOT sit alone any where.
By terryz54 (3), east quogue on Mar 8, 14 9:54 AM