tennis, club, lessons, indoor tennis, camp

Oct 31, 2017 12:06 PMPublication: The Southampton Press

UPDATE: Police Identify Eastport Man As The Driver Who Crashed Into A Barber Shop In Hampton Bays On Tuesday

Mario's Barber shop in Hampton Bays on Tuesday morning.  DANA SHAW
Nov 27, 2017 11:17 AM

UPDATE: Tuesday, 1:55 p.m.

Gregory Drury, 27, of Eastport was behind the wheel of the vehicle that drove into Mario’s Barber Shop on Tuesday morning, and according to police, he was not arrested, nor was he showing signs of intoxication. Police added that Mr. Drury was not injured.

ORIGINAL STORY:

A truck crashed into a popular barber shop in Hampton Bays on Tuesday morning, forcing the owner to close for at least the next week.

Rocky Point-resident Giuseppe Marino jumped into his car after he received a text from a friend at 7:15 a.m. and drove 45 minutes to see that the front facade of Mario's Barber Shop—which he has owned and operated for the past six years at the intersection of Montauk Highway and Squiretown Road—had been smashed.

When he arrived, the scene had already been cleared by police, who told him that the driver of the truck admitted to falling asleep at the wheel.

Town Police said Gregory Drury, 27, of Eastport was behind the wheel of the vehicle that drove into the barber shop, and according to police, he was not arrested, nor was he showing signs of intoxication. Police added that Mr. Drury was not injured.

“No one was hurt, thank goodness,” said a shocked Mr. Marino. “I was very relieved nobody was around and we weren’t opened.”

After reviewing the surveillance video, Mr. Marino said, it looked like a truck drove over the curb on the northeast corner of the intersection and into the front of his building, smashing the glass window into thousands of pieces and crushing the bricks into rubble. Mixed in with the bricks and glass were splinters of wood as well as the remains of a red, white and blue barber pole.

While the scene could make any business owner go crazy, Mr. Marino was in good spirits. In fact, he said he was telling everyone he knows that he plans to open sometime next week, although it could take a little longer. He explained that the building has to be closed for a short period of time to allow representatives from his insurance company to come through and assess the damage.

Thank God no one was hurt!
By MelissaA (18), Sag Harbor on Oct 31, 17 1:58 PM
Talk about a close shave!
By Pacman (66), Southampton on Oct 31, 17 2:38 PM
You're officially my favorite commentor!
By kkelly75 (17), Hampton Bays on Nov 1, 17 9:22 AM
So glad no one was hurt and hopefully they have insurance!!! How the heck did it happen?
By 1bigfish (11), Hampton Bays on Oct 31, 17 5:01 PM
So sorry. My favorite barber shop.
By patriot50 (26), sag harbor on Oct 31, 17 7:45 PM
Best shop in town!
By Stickybandit (11), HB on Oct 31, 17 7:59 PM
Mr Marino you have a new customer.i liked the way you responded to this accident.

By watchdog1 (409), Southampton on Nov 1, 17 8:03 AM
Sorry Joe, I will wait til U reopen for my CUT! See U soon !
By carsrus (57), Hampton Bays on Nov 2, 17 9:44 AM
I was in the car behind the Crashing Commercial vehicle. I didn't realize he crossed the road and crashed until I heard the noise b/c I was making a right onto Ponquogue Ave. I didn't realize how badly it was until I crossed the same intersection later in the morning. Hope the driver is OK!
By LarrySchulz (1), on Nov 2, 17 10:13 AM