real estate, msli

May 16, 2015 11:50 AMPublication: The Southampton Press

UPDATE: Chief Says East Hampton Officer Is Stable, In Critical Condition After Accident

May 18, 2015 7:09 AM

UPDATE: Sunday, 12 p.m.

East Hampton Police Chief Michael Sarlo said Mr. Roman is stable but in critical condition at Stony Brook University Hospital, where he is being treated for multiple broken bones and lacerations.

Chief Sarlo said, overall, Mr. Roman's condition is improving. He added that the accident is still being investigated, but he declined to comment on it.

"We are grateful for the quick actions of the passenger in the vehicle, who is a nurse, and the response of the [Montauk Fire Department], as they may have saved Danny's life," Chief Sarlo wrote in an email.

ORIGINAL STORY:

An off-duty East Hampton Town Police officer was taken to Stony Brook University Hospital with serious injuries after the motorcycle he was riding struck a car on Friday night in Montauk.

Daniel Roman, a veteran sergeant with the EHTPD, was riding west on Montauk Highway on his 2005 Suzuki motorcycle when he was struck by a 2012 Honda Accord driven by Stephen Lawton Weber Jr. of Baltimore at 6:09 p.m., according to a press release issued by police.

Mr. Roman, 45, was taken to Stony Brook by Suffolk County medevac helicopter. Details about his injuries were not disclosed by police.

Megan Weber, 33, of Baltimore was a passenger in the car and was taken to Southampton Hospital to be treated for minor injuries.

Police said that Mr. Weber was traveling east on Old Montauk Highway, approaching downtown Montauk. He was making a left turn onto Second House Road when he hit Mr. Roman's motorcycle head on.

No charges have been filed against Mr. Weber.

"Look twice. Save a life."
By Mr. Z (11364), North Sea on May 16, 15 1:36 PM
I don't think any of these out of town morons look once let alone twice !!!!!
By Biba (541), East Hampton on May 17, 15 10:15 AM
Wonder why if Mr. Roman was "hit head on" why no charges were filed against Weber? Isn't this failure to yield the right of way???
By Arnold Timer (321), Sag Harbor on May 17, 15 4:17 PM
Wow.. I hope Danny is okay. He was two years ahead of me in high school and always nice to me even though I was an underclassmen.
By Rich Morey (357), East Hampton on May 17, 15 11:06 PM
We played hockey together and Dan is a class act, talented and tenacious, always looking out for his team mates ( we were the Ticks). My family pray for his full recovery. Douglas Kelley
By bayarea (46), hampton bays on May 18, 15 7:48 PM
As a motorcycle rider for 20 years, I wonder:
1. Was the Suzuki accelerating? I know on my Katana, drivers vastly underestimated my closing time. 2. Assume everyone and everything does not see you, when you are on a motorcycle. 3. Not mentioned, had Mr. Roman had any alcohol? Another motorcycle rule Never drink and ride a motorcycle.
By tim2011 (16), southampton on May 19, 15 1:03 AM
My favorite cop! Sending prayers Daniel!
By YuliyaHristova (2), Sofia, Bulgaria on May 24, 15 10:17 PM