WELCOME GUEST  |  LOG IN
southampton politics, southampton council, craig catalanotto
27east.com

Story - News

Jul 2, 2013 4:15 PMPublication: The East Hampton Press

East Hampton Town: Shark Attack Party In Montauk May Be Canceled; Host Disagrees

Jul 3, 2013 6:59 AM
A party estimated to draw nearly 4,000 people to the Montauk Yacht Club this weekend, will—unless a contingency plan appears quickly—likely be canceled, because of a lack of parking, according to East Hampton Town Councilwoman Theresa Quigley. However, the yacht club maintains that the show will go on.

The “Shark Attack” party, a fundraiser for the Montauk Playhouse, won Town Board approval last month to take place on Friday, July 5, and Saturday, July 6, but it subsequently came to light that its plan to use Rita’s Stables for parking is unfeasible because parking is not allowed there, Mr. Quigley explained in a phone interview on Tuesday afternoon.

The Town Board announced that afternoon a special meeting to be held at 10 a.m. on Wednesday morning in the Town Hall meeting room on Pantigo Road to discuss the application.

Town Clerk Fred Overton said the board might rescind the resolution allowing the party if the parking issue is not addressed to the board’s satisfaction.

“It looks like the permit will be pulled, unless they have another option that we don’t know about,” Ms. Quigley said. “Why the heck was this found out after it was approved? I can’t answer that.”

Lloyd Van Horn, the general manager for the club, and his attorney, Tom Horn, said late Tuesday afternoon that they have new parking, planned at a large field on Montauk Highway in Amagansett, that has many advantages over the previous plan. These include better visibility and a capacity for more cars.

The party caused some concern when it came up before the board on June 20 because of its size. The same event, held last year at Rick’s Crabby Cowboy Cafe in Montauk, was shut down after an estimated 2,000 to 2,500 attendees turned out for the event, which was intended for 800 guests.

This year's event is expected to sell out, Mr. Van Horn said, adding that 2,300 tickets have already been sold.

You've read 1 of 7 free articles this month.

Already a subscriber? Sign in

who's on first ?
By lazymedic (100), southampton on Jul 2, 13 5:14 PM
Naturally
By orion4ever (13), sag harbor on Jul 2, 13 7:58 PM
use the Rumba bus to bus them in :)
By mmmonkey16 (3), Southampton on Jul 2, 13 8:26 PM
1 member liked this comment
Since the event is billed as a "fundraiser," will there be a public accounting of the funds raised and expenditures from this event to the Town Board? Looks like someone is making a lot of money here.
By nellie (451), sag harbor on Jul 2, 13 9:17 PM
Shame on the Town board. There will be no money going to the Montauk Playhouse. It's all a sham.
By deerproof (1), Montauk on Jul 3, 13 11:57 AM
Looks like that "transparency" we've been hearing so much about...
By Mr. Z (11698), North Sea on Jul 2, 13 9:32 PM
Check the drinking water!

From an earlier article on 6/25:

-- won Town Board approval last week, despite concerns by some board members over the event's size

-- okayed for its mass gathering permit on Thursday in a split vote, even though Mr. Stanzione said he was concerned that the board did not have enough time to review an event of this size

-- Mr. Wilkinson, who noted that the party application followed all proper protocol and that officials have called it ...more
By PBR (4953), Southampton on Jul 3, 13 12:27 AM
http://www.27east.com/news/article.cfm/General-Interest-EH/18326/Around-East-Hampton-Town-Hall-Deer-Plan-Adopted
By PBR (4953), Southampton on Jul 3, 13 12:28 AM