WELCOME GUEST  |  LOG IN
meghan heckman, 2019 election
27east.com

Story - News

Feb 7, 2015 4:17 PMPublication: The East Hampton Press

Duryea's Lobster Deck In Montauk Damaged By Fire

Feb 10, 2015 4:28 PM

Montauk’s venerable Duryea’s Lobster Deck was damaged by flames on February 7 after a leaking gas line ignited, according to authorities.

Montauk Fire Department firefighters cut a hole in the roof of the building and were able to extinguish the fire before it spread to the rest of the structure.

“We had to cut a hole in the roof to get the heat out, but once we did that we were able to get the fire out right away,” Montauk Fire Chief Joe Lenahan said on Saturday afternoon. “Someone was using one of the stoves in the kitchen, and when they turned on the stove, it ignited the gas, which caught the wall of the kitchen on fire. The outside wall of the building sustained pretty considerable damage.”

Chief Lenahan said that Perry “Chip” Duryea, one of the first people to arrive at the scene, shut off the gas supply, most likely preventing the fire from spreading further.

About 50 Montauk firefighters responded to the call, which came in at about 1:45 p.m., the chief said. They were on the scene for about 90 minutes to ensure that the flames were extinguished and the building was secured.

The Lobster Deck on Tuthill Road was bought by the Duryea family in the 1930s. They ran the restaurant and lobster market for 80 years. Mr. Duryea sold the building this past fall but still manages the restaurant.

You've read 1 of 7 free articles this month.

Already a subscriber? Sign in

power tools, home improvements, building supplies, Eastern Long Island