real estate, msli

Story - News

Feb 27, 2018 2:43 PMPublication: The Southampton Press

Firefighter Injured While Battling Chimney Fire In Speonk Gets Released From Hospital

51 South Phillips Avenue in Speonk. KATE RIGA
Feb 27, 2018 3:23 PM

A firefighter injured while battling a chimney fire in Speonk on Saturday morning has made a full recovery, fire officials said this week.

According to Eastport Fire Department Public Information Officer John Dalen, the volunteer—whose name he declined to release—was transported by the Westhampton War Memorial Ambulance to Peconic Bay Medical Center in Riverhead after suffering a shoulder injury while battling the blaze. He has since been released, according to Mr. Dalen.

The house, located on South Phillips Avenue in Speonk, sustained mild to moderate fire damage with additional smoke damage throughout the house, fire officials said. According to Southampton Town records, the home is owned by James and Dinah Petersen. The Petersens could not be reached for comment this week.

According to Mr. Dalen, at least one person was in the home when the blaze began at 6:59 a.m. on Saturday. He added that the homeowner immediately called the fire department and exited the structure. The fire was extinguished a short time later.

Volunteers with the Westhampton Beach and East Moriches fire departments provided mutual aid on the call.

You've read 1 of 7 free articles this month.

Already a subscriber? Sign in

Future Stars, Summer Camps,