adoption, dog, cat, kitten, puppy, rescue

Story - News

Mar 9, 2011 12:15 PMPublication: The Southampton Press

Northampton Man Charged With Assaulting Police Officer Over Can Of Malt Liquor

Mar 9, 2011 12:15 PM

A Northampton man was charged with felony assault last week after he punched a police officer in the face while being questioned for having an open container of alcohol in Riverside, according to Southampton Town Police.

Officers said they saw Mark A. Goode, 38, walking along Old Quogue Road at about 11:45 a.m. last Wednesday, March 2, and behaving in a “suspicious” manner, noting that he appeared to be concealing something along the left side of his body.

“They were worried that it was a gun or something,” said Town Police Sergeant Herbert Johnson, explaining that officers often observe drug transactions in the area.

When they tried to interview Mr. Goode, officers said he became “extremely agitated,” spewed obscenities at them and produced an open 24-ounce can of malt liquor. He then refused to be handcuffed and ran away, leading officers on a brief foot pursuit.

Once they caught up to him, Mr. Goode continued to wave his arms, resisting arrest, police said. He then punched an officer in the face, injuring him, Sgt. Johnson said.

Several officers then assisted in arresting Mr. Goode, who is described as weighing about 280 pounds and standing 5 feet 11 inches tall, at 11:48 a.m. He was charged with assault in the second degree, a felony, obstructing governmental 
administration and resisting arrest, both misdemeanors, and two counts of disorderly conduct, a violation.

Mr. Goode was arraigned in Southampton Town Justice Court on March 2 and remanded to the Suffolk County Jail in Riverside after failing to post $25,000 bail. On Monday, he was indicted by a grand jury on all of the charges, court officials said. They said all five charges could eventually be referred to a higher court, possibly Suffolk County Criminal Court in Riverhead.

Sgt. Johnson said the injured officer, whom he identified as Officer Nicholas Badagliacca, suffered a black eye and a small cut under his eye. Sgt. Johnson said the injured officer, who also complained of neck and back pain, did not receive medical treatment at the scene. Police said Officer Badagliacca was expected to return to work on Tuesday.

Police said Mr. Goode has an extensive criminal history and was recently released from Suffolk County Jail.

Riverhead Town Police said they arrested Mr. Goode on February 27, on a misdemeanor charge, after he violated an order of protection secured by a woman. He is due back in Riverhead Town Justice Court on Tuesday, March 15, on that charge.

Additionally, on February 12, New York State Police arrested Mr. Goode at the Shell gas station on Lake Avenue in Riverside, where he was charged with assault in the second degree, a felony. He was arrested that time, police said, after he repeatedly punched a man in the face, fracturing several of the victim’s bones.

After that arrest, Mr. Goode was sent to jail after failing to post $2,500 bail or $5,000 bond, police said. He will return to court on Tuesday, March 22.

Alarm Company Arrest

Southampton Town Police arrested a Flanders woman last week after they said she bilked a North Sea security alarm business out of more than $50,000 while she was employed there as a bookkeeper.

The owner of Peconic Security Alarms Inc., located on North Sea Road, filed a report in November accusing the bookkeeper, Jennifer A. Truskoski, of cashing unauthorized checks. The complaint also stated that the company had hired a certified public accountant who uncovered more than $400 in checks stolen over three years.

Detective Sergeant Randy Hintze said that report initiated a joint investigation between police and the Suffolk County district attorney’s Economic Crime Bureau. The investigation determined that she had actually stolen more than $50,000 from the firm, he said, adding that the thefts occurred in various increments over time. Ms. Truskoski had been employed by the victim for about five years, he said.

Town Police arrested Ms. Truskoski, 39, at 11:15 a.m. on March 1 at police headquarters in Hampton Bays and charged her with one count of grand 
larceny in the second degree, a felony.

Reached on Tuesday, Bill Porter, a co-owner of Peconic Security Alarms—who was not the original complainant—declined to comment on the arrest.

According to her arrest report, Ms. Truskoski is now employed as a bookkeeper at a business called Cavalier and Associates P.C. in Ronkonkoma. A woman answering the phone at that business on Tuesday said Ms. Truskoski does not work there before hanging up on a reporter.

Southampton Town Justice Court officials said Ms. Truskoski was released on her own recognizance following her arraignment on March 1. She is due back in court on Thursday, March 24, at 9 a.m., before Judge Andrea Schiavoni.

Attempts to reach Ms. Truskoski this week were unsuccessful.

You've read 1 of 7 free articles this month.

Already a subscriber? Sign in

geekhampton, holiday, christmas, gift, iphone, laptop, sag harbor, tech support