clubhouse, east hampton, indoor, tennis, cornhole, bar, happy hour, bowling, mini golf

Jul 8, 2012 3:49 PMPublication: The East Hampton Press

Mother, Son Struck By SUV While Crossing Street In Sag Harbor

Jul 10, 2012 3:57 PM

A 52-year-old Manhattan woman and her 5-year-old son were struck by a Chevrolet Suburban in a Sag Harbor crosswalk Sunday morning and both were transported to Southampton Hospital with non-life-threatening injuries, according to Sag Harbor Village Police.

The driver of the Suburban, Amy B. Aiata-Forst, 44, of East Hampton, was making a left turn from Division Street onto Bay Street at about 9:31 a.m. when she struck Elizabeth Krimendahl and her son Thaddeus, police said. Ms. Aiata-Forst told police that she was turning and all of a sudden people appeared in front of her and she was unable to stop in time. Police said she struck the mother and son pair, who were crossing Bay Street in front of the Sag Harbor Gym, at a very slow speed, but that they were knocked to the ground.

No charges were filed in the accident. The Sag Harbor Fire Department also responded to the scene to assist in redirecting traffic.

First and foremost, I do hope the victims are ok and make a speedy recovery. Secondly, I would like to say that the jaywalking is out of control in the village. People are walking out into the streets like it's one big street fair. Not good.
I am not saying this was the case in the above accident..I just think its a good time to make everyone aware how dangerous it is out there. Drivers are going to fast, looking everywhere but ahead of them, and pedestrians are crossing without looking. ...more
By AnonymousSgh (183), Sag Harbor on Jul 8, 12 4:02 PM
Let the Summer Games begin!
By Nero (290), Sag Harbor on Jul 8, 12 5:37 PM
Don't you love the way Chevy Suburban is emphasized, Those reckless 1 per-centers I bet it had a Romney bumper sticker as well. Nice subliminal placement Carol
By Undocumented Democrat (2000), southampton on Jul 8, 12 7:38 PM
No self respecting 1% would drive a Suburban.
By RealityFirst (597), Bridgehampton on Jul 8, 12 8:13 PM
Anon raises a good point, perhaps off topic but good. With all of the brownies walking around and a few signs telling peds. to use crosswalks the jaywalking (which is dangerous, but also REALLY slows the flow of traffic)could be eliminated almost immediately.
By HarborDad (37), Sag Harbor on Jul 9, 12 7:16 AM
We need bigger signs!
By rrc1049 (63), Bridgehampton on Jul 9, 12 9:41 AM
It does say that they were walking in a crosswalk. I hope they are ok, and that drivers will slow down.
By marybmary (54), east hampton on Jul 9, 12 11:09 AM
This comment has been removed because it is a duplicate, off-topic or contains inappropriate content.
By johnj (1017), Westhampton on Jul 10, 12 9:22 AM
I love it when the peds. jump out in front of you while your at the crosswalk. I must say this is a great way to test your brakes. It happens all the time.... as I am sure it did in the following article. I do not know about you but when I approach a crosswalk I stop, look, then proceed. Common sense?
By Wood Tick (1), Southampton on Jul 16, 12 7:05 PM
No let the lawsuits begin:)
By Dragharbor1980 (9), North Haven on Jul 16, 12 9:36 PM
The article did say the mother and son were struck while in the crosswalk. Drivers should always be cautious when approaching a crosswalk ESPECIALLY during the summer months.
By Trinette D. (1), East Hampton on Jan 29, 13 7:41 PM