clubhouse, east hampton, indoor, tennis, cornhole, bar, happy hour, bowling, mini golf

Story - News

Jun 28, 2015 7:53 AMPublication: The Southampton Press

UPDATE: Chief Says Fire Was Sparked By Squirrel's Nest, Caused Minimal Damage

Bridgehampton firefighters Contained a fire at an historic house on Sagaponack Main Street Sunday morning.
Jun 29, 2015 9:14 AM

UPDATE: 10:55 a.m. Sunday

The fire was electrical in nature, beginning in the ceiling of a second-floor bathroom, but the overall damage caused by the fire was minimal, Bridgehampton Fire Department First Assistant Chief Jeff White said.

Mr. White said it appeared squirrels had entered the house and built a nest inside a ceiling vent, which is what caught fire, causing a substantial amount of smoke. Mr. White noted that he does not believe the smoke caused any damage in the home.

Between 40 and 45 volunteers with the Bridgehampton Fire Department responded to the fire and nearly 50 other firefighters with the Southampton and Sag Harbor fire departments were on standby.

"We didn't know what was going on so we wanted to be safe," Mr. White said. "It's an old house with a wooden frame, so we didn't want to take any chances.


Members of the Bridgehampton Fire Department responded to a fire at an historic home at 794 Sagaponack Main Street Sunday morning at about 7:15.

Smoke was visible coming from the second floor. The fire appeared to have been contained shortly after their arrival.

The Southampton, East Hampton and Sag Harbor fire departments were on the scene to assist.

Sagaponack Main Street remained closed as of about 7:45 a.m.

The house remained smoke-filled, and firefighters appeared to be removing shingles and cutting into walls as they searched for a source of the blaze.

The house was three doors south of another historic house that was burned to ground last year in an apparent arson.

You've read 1 of 7 free articles this month.

Already a subscriber? Sign in

San Gennaro Feast of the Hamptons, Hampton Bays, Scottos