clubhouse, east hampton, indoor, tennis, cornhole, bar, happy hour, bowling, mini golf

Jun 30, 2015 3:27 PMPublication: The Southampton Press

Family Pulled From Water After Getting Caught In Rip Current Tuesday At Pikes Beach

Lifeguards carry a woman off Pikes Beach after she was rescued from a rip current Tuesday afternoon. KYLE CAMPBELL
Jul 1, 2015 10:02 AM

Four members of the same family had to be rescued after getting caught in a rip current and being pulled more than 100 feet from shore on Tuesday afternoon at Pikes Beach in West Hampton Dunes.

A mother and three children were swimming in the water just after 1:30 p.m. when they got caught in the current, which formed just to the west of a lifeguard stand. The father then jumped in the water and was able to rescue his wife and one of his children before lifeguards could complete the rescue, according to a West Hampton Dunes Police Constable who responded to the scene.

No one was seriously injured in the incident, though the mother was carried off the beach by lifeguards and taken to the Peconic Bay Medical Center by a Westhampton War Memorial Ambulance as a precaution because she swallowed some saltwater, according to the constable.

“It was a serious rip,” Pikes Beach lifeguard Jim Byrne said. “It was like a rescue here, a rescue there and then … boom. We gotta go.”

The woman’s husband and children also were transported to Peconic Bay via a separate ambulance. The family is from Canada and was vacationing in the area, according to the constable.

After the incident, lifeguards shifted the allowed swimming area to the east and made sure no one was in the water near the rip current. Mr. Byrne said the current pulled the four family members more than 100 feet from the shore.

The remainder of the beach remained open on Tuesday.

Lifeguards Tom Skrivamek, Lauren Smith and Tia Beck went into the water for the rescue, according to Mr. Byrne.

Staff reporter Amanda Bernocco contributed to this report.

An early reminder to use caution when swimming in the ocean. Hopefully everyone is ok. Thanks also should go to the lifeguards who protect swimmers all summer.
By HB90 (162), southampton on Jun 30, 15 6:08 PM
Great job to the lifeguards and the good Samaritans who helped out! We were there and it was scary but the lifeguards were quick and efficient!
By eqmomof3 (22), EAST QUOGUE on Jun 30, 15 9:26 PM
I was at the beach in Southampton and the water was very deceiving..esp to people who are not familiar with the ocean and particularly the currents on the east end. NEVER swim w/o lifeguards and ask them what the conditions are before you go in.....it could look really nice like yesterday. Thank you to all the lifeguards..they do an amazing job:)
By sandydog21 (195), Southampton on Jul 1, 15 9:22 AM
2 members liked this comment
The lifeguards in our town are underpaid ($11.00/hr) and under appreciated.

Mid August many of the college kids have to return to school--coverage at the beaches becomes razor thin.

Labor day is late this year (Sept. 7)--so watch out!!
By aging hipster (194), Southampton on Jul 2, 15 5:53 AM
Quote:

"The lifeguards in our town are underpaid ($11.00/hr) and under appreciated."
------------------------------

IIs this really true? I had no idea. If so, it is a disgrace. We consign our lives and the lives of our loved ones to the care of the lifeguards every time we use the beach. They should be remunerated on a par with their responsibility. It is only their status as temporary and seasonal employees that enables local governments treat them so contemptibly. ...more
By highhatsize (4119), East Quogue on Jul 2, 15 11:03 AM
3 members liked this comment
I am the father in the story. I have no words to described what the lifeguards did to save my familly. What seemed like a simple rescue to me, when I tried to get my son out of the water, turned out like a true nightmare when we all got carried away by the ocean. It's one thing to stay afloat in the current, but to pull someone out is another business. No words can express my gratitude to the people who saved my family. The women and men on the beach who took care of my kids while I was tending ...more
By Québécois (1), Montréal on Jul 2, 15 12:45 PM
You are so true!! Those lifeguards were amazing during such a frightening experience with your family. My friends and I were sitting right where you were all tending to your wife. My friend brought you over the chair and the bottle of water for your wife. I hope she is doing okay now. Our prayers were with you.
By lbsaut (2), flanders on Jul 2, 15 4:59 PM
I am so glad you are all ok!
By sandydog21 (195), Southampton on Jul 4, 15 9:19 AM
I was at Pikes when this happened and those lifeguards did an amazing job!! Very well trained and from what I understand--VERY underpaid!! They should be proud of themselves responding as they did--- the end result could have turned out a lot different without their expertise.
By lbsaut (2), flanders on Jul 2, 15 4:55 PM
The lifeguards are VERY underpaid!!! It's becoming harder and harder to recruit because of this. These are summer jobs and kids/adults need to make money for college etc. They can make a lot more doing other things. The towns and villages better wake up or there will be no one on the chairs..They are VITAL!
By sandydog21 (195), Southampton on Jul 4, 15 9:17 AM