WELCOME GUEST  |  LOG IN
clubhouse, east hampton, indoor, tennis, cornhole, bar, happy hour, bowling, mini golf
27east.com

Story - News

Apr 9, 2013 9:30 PMPublication: The Southampton Press

Application To Close Westhampton Beach Main Street Withdrawn Following Criticism

Apr 10, 2013 8:24 AM

Westhampton Beach Performing Arts Center officials have withdrawn an application that would have closed Main Street on the Fourth of July for a free anniversary concert.

The move was announced by Westhampton Beach Mayor Conrad Teller last week at the opening of the April trustees meeting. According to Rebecca Molinaro, the village clerk, the application was withdrawn on April 4 after it met some opposition from a handful of business owners on and around Main Street.

According to Jodi Giambrone, manager of public relations and artist relations for the PAC, the concert has been canceled and the PAC has no other plans for the date at this time. Ms. Giambrone also confirmed that the theater is looking into other ways to celebrate the 15th anniversary of the theater but declined to comment any further.

The concert was planned to kick off the milestone celebration for the PAC, which opened its doors on the East End on July 6, 1997. As part of the application, which was filed with the village on January 30, the PAC would have shut down Main Street from Glovers Lane to Sunset Avenue starting at 2 p.m. on the Fourth of July. In the afternoon, PAC staff would have constructed a stage on Main Street in front of the building for a free concert featuring the West Point Band’s Jazz Knights. The concert was also scheduled to end in time for the annual fireworks show put on by the nearby Westhampton Country Club.

Last week, Westhampton Beach merchants expressed concern over closing Main Street for the concert on such a busy day of the year. Typically, July 4 is one of the best days for business in the village, and with cars banned, merchants expressed concerns that they would lose business.

This week, Mr. Teller said he can understand the concerns expressed by business owners, but said he is sad the concert will not go forward. He added that the free concert would have been a nice way to drum up business on Main Street regardless if cars were allowed.

“I thought it would be a very nice thing for the village,” he said. “But we have to listen to the business owners in the area, so I think the theater made a proper decision based on the information they had.”

You've read 1 of 7 free articles this month.

Already a subscriber? Sign in

What a shame.It's not like there isn't plenty of parking available around the outskirts of the village.
By tenn tom (236), remsenburg on Apr 10, 13 8:14 AM
Merchants? More like two merchants! The fireworks are at night...how many pieces of cheese do you think Sydney's is selling after dark? And Shock? Does one really think that the bulk of children's shopping occurs after dark?

WHB is a town of funstoppers. If the twon were any better, Main street would be so chock full of people you wouldn't want to drive down it on a given night. I can assure you it's pretty much not the case for any other night except for a few weekends in July and ...more
By Hambone (510), New York on Apr 10, 13 9:01 AM
1 member liked this comment
wonder how many of the critics of withdrawal own a business on Mainstreet?
By realistic (464), westhampton on Apr 15, 13 1:20 PM
8k run & 3 mile walk, Agawam Park, Southampton Rotary Club fundraiser