tennis, club, lessons, indoor tennis, camp
27east.com

Story - News

Aug 9, 2017 2:07 PMPublication: The Southampton Press

Steven Mezynieski Will Not Serve Jail Time For Rape Charge Under Plea Deal

Aug 16, 2017 10:21 AM

A Southampton contractor accused of sexually abusing a teenage girl between 2011 and 2014 will serve no time in prison after a plea deal was reached in court last week that eliminated all of the most serious charges against him.

State Police had charged Steven Mezynieski, 45, on August 4, 2016, with first-degree rape and committing a criminal sex act in the first degree, both Class B felonies—charges that carried a potential prison term of 25 years.

Edward Burke Jr., the attorney representing Mr. Mezynieski, released a statement last week saying his client had agreed to plead guilty to a low-level misdemeanor on Wednesday, August 9. The charge was third-degree sex abuse involving a female over 18, a class B misdemeanor.

Mr. Mezynieski will serve one year of probation as a result of the plea deal. All felony charges have been dropped, and he will not have to register as a sex offender, according to Mr. Burke.

“Mr. Mezynieski felt he owed it to his family to avoid a lengthy trial accompanied by daily press coverage, which would affect his children and his wife,” Mr. Burke said. “His family fully supports his decision to take this plea and end this matter.”

Police accused Mr. Mezynieski of using rope to restrain the female victim, then 16, and performed a sex act on the victim without her consent at his North Fork farm during the summer of 2012. In the summer of 2014, police accused him of forcing the victim, then 18, to have intercourse while she tried to fend him off, documents say.

Despite these court documents that assert these “extremely serious allegations,” Mr. Burke noted, the district attorney dismissed the felony charges.

“They did not hold weight,” Mr. Burke added. “To go from a B felony to a B misdemeanor speaks volumes in the legal world.”

Rosemarie Arnold, an attorney representing the victim in a civil case against Mr. Mezynieski, said she still plans to pursue that case.

“We have proof that he sexually assaulted her from the time she was 14,” Ms. Arnold said last week. “We intend to vigorously pursue a civil case and expect to obtain justice in that venue.”

You have read 1 of 7 free articles this month.

Yes! I'll try a one-month
Premium Membership
for just 99¢!
CLICK HERE

Already a subscriber? LOG IN HERE

Harbor Hot Tubs, Holiday Special