clean energy, deep water wind, wind farm, block island, long island

Story - News

Aug 30, 2011 6:58 PMPublication: The Southampton Press

Man Charged With Flanders Attempted Robbery

Aug 31, 2011 10:24 AM

A Riverhead man was arrested last week after Southampton Town Police named him as the suspect in an attempted robbery that took place in Flanders earlier this summer.

According to detectives, Aaron D. Hartmann, 21, brandished a handgun and demanded a Flanders man’s car stereo at an Evergreen Road address at about 4:30 p.m. on August 13 before fleeing. No was injured, authorities said.

Mr. Hartman was taken into custody at 1:34 p.m. on Friday at police headquarters in Hampton Bays and charged with attempted robbery in the second degree and criminal possession of a weapon in the third degree, both felonies, and a pair of misdemeanors, criminal possession of a weapon in the fourth degree and menacing in the second degree. Police did not specify how they located him.

He was remanded to the Suffolk County Jail in Riverside in lieu of $30,000 bail following an arraignment in Southampton Town Justice Court.

Suspected Arson in Riverside

An abandoned dwelling in Riverside broke out in flames early Sunday morning, and authorities say they suspect it was a case of arson.

According to a Southampton Town Police incident report, a passing motorist reported that the unoccupied Flanders Road home was in flames at about 5:50 a.m. on Sunday. Upon their arrival on the scene, the Riverhead Volunteer Fire Department already had responded and said they suspected the fire was intentionally set.

Southampton Town Fire Marshal John Rankin said on Tuesday that firefighters were able to contain the blaze to two first-floor rooms in the rear of the house, the size of which he estimated to be smaller than 1,000 square feet. The house has had prior damage from break-ins, he said, and the fire damage itself was not that bad, though it was heavily charred. The only holes in the home were those created by firefighters to ventilate the building.

Police said samples of charred wood were removed from the scene for analysis. The incident report states that were no immediate leads, witnesses or video surveillance.

The exact cause of the blaze remained under investigation as of Tuesday.

You have read 1 of 7 free articles this month.

Yes! I'll try a one-month
Premium Membership
for just 99¢!

Already a subscriber? LOG IN HERE

Southampton Animal Shelter, Unconditional Love, Adoption