United Nations Federal Credit Union, Denim & Diamonds, Dockers, Fundraiser

Oct 12, 2011 10:13 AMPublication: The Southampton Press

Husband Of North Haven Mayor Dies After Fall

Oct 13, 2011 4:08 PM

John Nolan, the husband of North Haven Village Mayor Laura Nolan, died at the couple’s home Monday morning after falling down a flight of stairs, according to Southampton Town Police.

Town Police and Sag Harbor Volunteer Ambulance crews responded to the Nolans’ Bay View Drive North residence at about 6:45 a.m. to a call that Mayor Nolan had awakened and found that her husband had fallen.

Mr. Nolan, 53, had fallen down the stairs sometime overnight and was pronounced dead upon emergency responders’ arrival, police said. They said it was not immediately clear when the accident occurred.

Visitation will be from 2 to 4 p.m. and 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. on Thursday, October 13, at the Yardley & Pino Funeral Home in Sag Harbor. A memorial service will be held Friday, October 14, at 11 a.m. at the Breakwater Yacht Club Community Sailing Center in Sag Harbor.

A complete obituary will appear in next week’s edition of The Press.

I am John Nolan's sister-in-law and on behalf of his wife, parents, 5 siblings and their families, his 3 daughters and countless friends I would like the community to know that this posting of John's tragic death is an outrage to all of us. I have spoken to the Executive Editor, Joe Shaw who acknowledged my concerns and validated my issues. He stated the article will be re-written with the sensitivity and the correct information that is so justly deserves. My brother-in-law has been taken from ...more
By SPM (3), Southampton on Oct 12, 11 2:23 PM
2 members liked this comment
Well I see in the time it took me to write my comment the article has been re-written. Too bad it took my calling to bring the obvious to their attention. I genuinely hope that the staff of The Southampton Press/27east.com never has to endure the heartache the Nolan family is experiencing.
By SPM (3), Southampton on Oct 12, 11 2:26 PM
God bless your family, such a tragedy.
By Eliza (29), Westhampton Beach on Oct 12, 11 3:05 PM
Very sad new. So sorry for your loss. Prayers for you and the Nolan family.
By marybmary (53), east hampton on Oct 12, 11 3:28 PM
To the Nolan family, and especially to my friend, Laura, please accept my deepest condolences on this incredibly tragic event. I am so sorry for your loss.
By Robert I Ross (247), Hampton Bays on Oct 12, 11 3:47 PM
I think The Press accurately portrayed the newsworthiness of this event. They have 10,000 readers. 9,900 do not know the deceased, but they may have heard of the mayor or at least have an interest in anything even remotely political. I understand the family's grief, and I'm sure that Mr. Nolan has a special place in Heaven, but it would show a serious lack of integrity if the paper did not report this story or kowtowed to a backroom phone call from someone politically connected. The other 99% of ...more
By Mr Suffolk (113), Twin Forks on Oct 13, 11 9:16 AM