car repair, storage, luxury, quogue, hampton, motors, automotive, restoration, oil change

Parking Valet Hit By Car At Southampton Hospital

Publication: The Southampton Press
By Michael Contino   Jun 30, 2011 1:08 PM
Jul 6, 2011 11:36 AM

A Southampton Hospital parking valet was struck by a car on Meeting House Lane in front of the hospital early Thursday afternoon, June 30, and was propelled onto the car’s hood, cracking its windshield, according to Southampton Village Police.

An elderly motorist hit the valet while he was crossing the street, according to Southampton Village Police Chief Thomas Cummings. Police do not believe speed was a factor in the accident, and no charges were filed.

MICHAEL CONTINO

I wonder if he asked to be taken to Stonybrook.
By HB 4 Life (72), Hampton Bays on Jun 30, 11 5:35 PM
The poor driver was most likely older than George Burns.

As a professional driver, I would grant some degree of forgiveness...
By Mr. Z (6496), North Sea on Jun 30, 11 11:05 PM
Raed the article - PROPELLED onto the cars hood.....that does not happen without speed - laws of physics. Even 30MPH is way too fast with all the busy activity around the hospital. Everyone needs to get their foot off the gas and slow down. People are flying down the roads around the hoapital at way too fast a speed - slow down!
By Fedupin HamptonBays (14), Hampton Bays on Jul 1, 11 6:43 AM
Though you are correct in your assesment of the local driving scene, you can end up on the hood at 15 MPH. Maybe "propelled" was a poor choice of words. If he saw it coming, he even may have jumped a bit as well. I would opine myself, that 15 is too fast past the ER.

"Police do not believe speed was a factor in the accident and no charges were filed.

The valet, whom police declined to identify, was taken to the emergency room for treatment of minor injuries, police said."

By Mr. Z (6496), North Sea on Jul 3, 11 6:32 PM
Those valets always just run right across the road. They NEVER look. It happens to me all the time. Seriously...they must think they are indestructable.I work around there so I go that way every day. I know to watch for them.
By squeaky (259), hampton bays on Jul 10, 11 8:41 PM
They need to stop allowing parking on the southside of Meetinghouse right near the crosswalk. People dodge right out and with cars parked there, you cant see them till the last minute. Drivers are distracted trying to navigate through the narrow opening created by parked cars and that sign in the middle of the cross walk, as well as people who just pull right out of the hospital lot, to watch for darting pedestrians. I am surprised nothing has happened before this. I know parking is tight there, ...more
By Babyboo (45), Hampton Bays on Jul 11, 11 12:20 PM