New Photos Unearthed from Morris Studio Collection - 27 East

Arts & Living

Arts & Living / 2106927

New Photos Unearthed from Morris Studio Collection

icon 1 Photo
Irving House

Irving House

author on Feb 27, 2019

George W. Morris began taking professional photos in 1892 when he opened his photography store on Main Street in Southampton.

He neglected to mention that more than 10,000 glass plate negatives were hidden in the basement — first discovered in 2017 when the store closed.They illuminate a lost era spanning a century, and a new selection of historic photos from the “Morris Studio Collection” will open on Saturday, March 2, from 4 to 6 p.m. at the Rogers Mansion, located at 17 Meeting House Lane in Southampton.

“A dapper fellow, whose self-portrait shows him in a bowler and bow tie assuming a jaunty, Chaplin-esque pose, Morris came to Southampton at the age of 21 from Sayville where he had apprenticed in photography,” a press release said. “An up-and-coming resort for the glamorous affluent, Southampton seemed like a good bet for an up-and-coming photographer. By all accounts — and we have the photographic evidence — George Morris was a master of his craft in an era when images were still being captured on glass plates by a very complex process. Because it was essential that the plates be kept moist, Morris would float them in a sticky essence of coffee.”

For studio portraits, Morris liked to use the natural light from a large skylight — which, alas, was sent crashing to the floor in the 1938 hurricane. Out in the field with his primitive camera, Morris captured priceless views of Southampton’s dirt roads, vintage automobiles, its landmarks and long-gone citizens engaged in forgotten pursuits. Back in his darkroom, he mixed his own chemicals to produce the images that are the best record of Southampton at the turn of the last century.

“Following in their father’s footsteps, sons Wilton and Douglas Morris later took over the business and proved nimble negotiators of the rapid advances in photography that led to its popularization,” the release said. “When Douglas Morris retired, the business continued under the ownership of Jim Thomason, but his efforts and those of his son who followed him were gradually overwhelmed by the realities of the digital age, when anyone with a smartphone can take a decent photograph and cameras are again largely the province of professionals and serious amateurs.

“The Morris Studio building survives at 72 Main Street in another guise and the collection of photographs that is George Morris’s priceless legacy is now owned by Jim Thomason’s son, Neal Thomason,” it continues. “The spirit of Morris Studio lives on with Mary Godfrey, who owns a framing and photography store at 89 Jobs Lane.”

The exhibit will remain on view through August 3. For more information, call (631) 283-2494 or visit southamptonhistory.org.

[caption id="attachment_89558" align="alignnone" width="800"] Ron Winters Orchestra, c. 1936.
The identification and date of this photo in the Morris Collection is unusual - most of them are not labeled. The band members were good at multi-tasking with clarinets ready at the feet of the saxophone players and an unclaimed standing microphone near the pianist.[/caption]

[caption id="attachment_89557" align="alignnone" width="800"] Boarding House with Proprietors, c. 1880.
This unidentified photo may be a promotion for a Southampton boarding house in the 1890s. The couple stand on the lawn with their dog and pony. The windows are open and do not have insect screens, which are not needed near the ocean. On the right a pillow on the front porch steps suggests leisure time and on the left a quilt drying in the sun advertises cleanliness.[/caption]

 

You May Also Like:

‘Yellow Brick Road’ Is a Tribute to Elton John

On Saturday, April 12, The Suffolk presents two performances of “Yellow Brick Road,” a tribute ... 2 Apr 2025 by Staff Writer

Catalyst Quartet Performs on Shelter Island

The Shelter Island Friends of Music will present the Grammy Award-winning Catalyst Quartet in a ... 1 Apr 2025 by Staff Writer

BCM Welcomes the Danish String Quartet to Kick Off Its Spring Series

This is the time of year when Marya Martin, founder and artistic director of Bridgehampton ... by Annette Hinkle

Book Review: Kevin Wade’s Crime Novel 'Johnny Careless' Delves Into the World of Small Town Police Work

The insider world of Kevin Wade’s crime novel “Johnny Careless” will not surprise fans of ... by Joan Baum

‘Architecture of the Overflow’ With Emily Johnson at The Church

Have a seat on one of the many quilts that will be laid out in ... by Staff Writer

Fourth Annual Creativity Conference at The Church

On Saturday, April 5, The Church will host its fourth annual Creativity Conference. The daylong event begins with coffee and breakfast for all attendees at 9:30 a.m. A lunch break will be offered from noon to 1 p.m. (lunch not included). Composer Carter Burwell will lead off the presentations at 10 a.m. with “Why do films have music.” Burwell worked for years scoring Coen Brothers films and won an Academy Award for scoring Todd Haynes’s “Carol.” He also received nominations for “Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri” and “The Banshees of Inisherin.” Next up will be Lucy Jacobs, a magnetic speaker ... 31 Mar 2025 by Staff Writer

Sag Harbor's Peter Browngardt's Makes His First Looney Tunes Feature

Just a few weeks ago, Peter Browngardt, a creator, writer, executive producer and director of ... by Annette Hinkle

'Writing From Art: Poetry, Prose and the Lyric Essay'

Explore the possibilities of creative writing and develop new connections between visual art and the written word in a two-session workshop at The Church on Tuesday, April 8, and Thursday, April 10. Led by published poet and scholar Star Black, this two-session literary workshop will focus on the idea of ekphrasis, an Ancient Greek term meaning “the use of detailed description of a work of visual art as a literary device.” Inspired by the works featured in “Eternal Testament,” the current exhibition at The Church, participants will generate a series of creative texts detailing their unique experiences of selected pieces ... by Staff Writer

April Gornik Discusses ‘Figures du Fou’

On Sunday, April 27, join artist April Gornik for a richly illustrated virtual walk-through of the “Figures du Fou” (Figures of the Fool) exhibition that opened on October 16, 2024 at the Louvre Museum and closed on February 5, 2025. The talk begins at 3 p.m. “Figures of the Fool” was brilliantly curated by Elisabeth Antoine-König and Pierre-Yves Le Pogam. Gornik will share slides, talk about the curators’ intent and introduce her own insights and ideas. Along the way, she will invite thoughts and comments from the audience and, at the end, there will be a more formal question-and-answer period. ... by Staff Writer

The Ultimate Tribute to the Music of Bon Jovi

The Suffolk presents Don Jovi, the ultimate tribute to the music of Bon Jovi, on ... by Staff Writer