Appellate Division Upholds Southampton Village ZBA's Hill Street Subdivision Decision - 27 East

Appellate Division Upholds Southampton Village ZBA's Hill Street Subdivision Decision

Brendan J. O’Reilly on Aug 2, 2023

A state appeals court has upheld a 2017 Southampton Village Zoning Board of Appeals decision to grant area variances for a three-lot subdivision at 550 and 554 Hill Street.

Hill Street neighbor Eric Ruttenberg, along with other neighbors, had petitioned the Suffolk County Supreme Court to overturn the ZBA’s decision, but the court dismissed the petition in 2020. Ruttenberg then appealed the dismissal to the State Supreme Court Appellate Division, and the case was argued this January and decided on July 26.

The court found that, “contrary to the petitioners’ contention, the ZBA’s determination … was not arbitrary and capricious, irrational, or an abuse of discretion.”

Despite this victory for the ZBA, the three-lot subdivision is, at present, not moving forward. The Village Planning Board, in a 3-1 decision, voted down the subdivision plan in June; the owner of the 2.8 acres, former ZBA member James Zuhusky, has initiated a lawsuit seeking to overturn the Planning Board’s decision.

The Appellate Division decision notes that the two parcels include two single-family houses and a warehouse used by moving and storage companies. “Storage and warehouse use is not a permitted use in the residential zoning districts at issue, but because the property had been used in this fashion since prior to the enactment of the zoning code, it was legal as a prior nonconforming use,” the decision continues.

In 2012, Zuhusky asked the ZBA — he was a member of the board at the time — to approve variances for a four-lot residential subdivision, but he later reduced the request to three lots to assuage the Planning Board’s concerns. The ZBA approved a number of variances in 2017, but rejected plans for accessory guest houses on two of the three lots.

John Bennett, the attorney who represented Zuhusky in the case, said that the fact that the Appellate Division upheld the ZBA’s decision is “more proof of how inappropriate that Planning Board denial is.”

You May Also Like:

Scarlett’s Fight: East End Community Stands Behind 6-Year-Old Girl Battling Brain Cancer

On the last day of school, Scarlett Parry should have been in her first grade ... 31 Aug 2025 by Michelle Trauring

New Video Camera Tags Give SOFO Researchers Up-Close Window on Shark Activity in Local Waters

A team of scientists from the South Fork Natural History Museum and Stony Brook University ... 30 Aug 2025 by Stephen J. Kotz

East Quogue To Get Tax Funding Via New District for Upkeep of Main Street, Gardens

Southampton Town officials this week approved creating a special taxing district for the hamlet of ... 29 Aug 2025 by Michael Wright

Optimum Reverses Course on Public Access With Plan To Restore LTV, Sea-TV Channels in September

After an uproar from public access stations regionwide, Optimum has announced its intent to reverse ... by Jack Motz

Highway Cannabis Dispensary Sues Southampton Town Over Approval Delays

The owners of a cannabis dispensary that had tried to open last fall before receiving ... 28 Aug 2025 by Michael Wright

Dry Times: Tracking Water Hogs and the Fight to Conserve | 27Speaks Podcast

It’s been a hot, dry summer, and in late July the Suffolk County Water Authority ... by 27Speaks

Sag Harbor Village Police Reports for the Week of August 28

SAG HARBOR VILLAGE — Sag Harbor Village Police arrested Billy Jose Salazar, 51, of Coral Springs, Florida, early in the morning on August 20 on felony charges of DWI. According to police, initial contact with Salazar was made when an officer responded to a report of a man lying in the street next to the open driver’s side door on a pickup truck on Bay Street. According to police, it was Salazar who was lying on the ground with a visible head wound, apparently from falling out of the truck. He told police that he had been driving the truck, ... 27 Aug 2025 by Staff Writer

Southampton Police Reports for the Week of August 28

QUOGUE — On Wednesday, August 20, at 8:53 p.m., Quogue Village Police received a report that an unknown individual had entered someone’s private residence on Meadow Lane and took two bicycles valued at approximately $1,700. After investigating, police were able to identify a suspect, who was arrested two days later at 10:17 a.m. at Quogue Village Police Department. The suspect was identified as Omar Chalco Prado, 37, of Shirley. He was charged with fourth-degree grand larceny, a felony, and was released on an appearance ticket. The stolen bikes were located and will be returned. QUOGUE — On August 14, a ... by Staff Writer

Divided Southampton Town Board Approves Funding for Affordable Housing on Quiogue

A divided Southampton Town Board narrowly approved a long-settled agreement to direct $2.7 million in funding from the town’s Community Housing Fund to a 79-unit workforce housing apartment complex planned for a former laundromat property on Quiogue. Councilman Bill Pell took the opportunity of the Town Board’s final vote to approve the housing fund contribution on Tuesday night, August 26, to try to force the project developers back to square one with their proposal, which he said he thinks was ill conceived on Quiogue. Supervisor Maria Moore also voted against approving the funding, saying that she thought it should simply ... by Michael Wright

Photos: The 50th Annual Hampton Classic

The 50th Hampton Classic began on August 24 and continues through August 31 at the ... by Staff Writer