An important date in November awaits the American people. Well, that one, too — but the one I’m referencing, rife with consequence for millions of Americans, is November 10, when the U.S. Supreme Court will hear arguments, flimsy though they may be, to invalidate the Affordable Care Act.
The Trump Justice Department supports the case seeking to end the ACA, Texas v. California; in opposition, 800 health professionals warn: “An estimated 20 million people would lose coverage if the ACA is repealed by court order” (americanprogress.org).
The elimination of the following key features is concerning to those 800 health professionals:
• The Expanded Medicaid component, which provided coverage to millions.
• Subsidy support to purchase standardized insurance in the ACA marketplace, defray insurance premium costs and reduce out-of-pocket costs.
• Pre-existing condition protection.
• The coverage feature that allows dependents up to the age of 26 to stay on parents’ insurance plans.
• Subsidies to Medicare beneficiaries receiving drug coverage via Medicare Part D.
• The requirement that private insurance plans cover recommended preventive services without patient cost sharing.
Despite their decade-long mantra “repeal and replace,” there is no Republican proposal to reform our health care system. On July 19, in a Fox News interview with Chris Wallace, President Trump boldly stated: “We’re signing a health care plan within two weeks, a full and complete health care plan …”
Nope. Didn’t happen.
Go here to see the different health care proposals for each candidate: kff.org/slideshow/health-care-and-the-2020-presidential-election/.
With or without a negative determination by the Supreme Court, Joe Biden and Democratic allies will fight for a stronger health care system that provides more opportunities for Americans to gain health insurance and reduce prescription drug costs (See HR 3). We can do our part by replacing Lee Zeldin with Stony Brook University scientist Nancy Goroff to represent our district in Congress.
To see what’s new, click “Start the Tour” to take a tour.
We welcome your feedback. Please click the
“contact/advertise” link in the menu bar to email us.
One fine body…