The Southampton Press’s recent story on the Nathaniel Rogers House preservation effort [“Nathaniel Rogers House Faces Another Financial Setback In A Nearly Decade-Long Renovation,” 27east.com, May 14] and subsequent editorial [“The Money Pit,” Editorial, Opinion, May 30] repeated an erroneous statement by town staff that the rooftop cupola and balustrades were not historical features original to the house.
While doing recent research for a prospective historic district for Bridgehampton, contrary information was found.
After Rogers died on December 6, 1844, his wife, Caroline, and heirs put his lucrative real estate holdings in New York City and Bridgehampton up for sale. The Rogers mansion in Bridgehampton was repeatedly advertised in New York City newspapers. Page 3 of the January 20, 1847, issue of the New York Evening Express described in detail the house, which in part follows: “The main building is 46 feet square, with two wings, each 16 feet; front piazza, full height, with Ionic columns, side piazza with ditto; the whole surmounted with a commodious observatory.”
What recently has been referenced as a “cupola” is the properly referred to “observatory.” Early observatory images show a full-height square structure with windows with shutters on three sides and a door opening to the roof of the third floor. The observatory had Greek revival-style dentil and other molding about its very elaborate and decorative roof construction.
Landmarks and Historic Districts Board
Town of Southampton
To see what’s new, click “Start the Tour” to take a tour.
We welcome your feedback. Please click the
“contact/advertise” link in the menu bar to email us.
One fine body…