On the Block Again: Auction of Vacant Coast Guard Housing in Westhampton Set for August - 27 East

On the Block Again: Auction of Vacant Coast Guard Housing in Westhampton Set for August

icon 3 Photos
The Westhampton property that was once Coast Guard housing is on the auction block, again. KITTY MERRILL

The Westhampton property that was once Coast Guard housing is on the auction block, again. KITTY MERRILL

One of the Coast Guard housing units included in the upcoming auction of the 14-acre property in Westhampton.   KITTY MERRILL

One of the Coast Guard housing units included in the upcoming auction of the 14-acre property in Westhampton. KITTY MERRILL

Now vacant, erstwhile Coast Guard housing on 14 acres in Westhampton is going on the auction block.   KITTY MERRILL

Now vacant, erstwhile Coast Guard housing on 14 acres in Westhampton is going on the auction block. KITTY MERRILL

Kitty Merrill on Jul 19, 2023

On August 7, long-vacant units that were once home to Coast Guard families in Westhampton will go on the auction block. The bidding for the entire 14-acre site starts at $5 million.

That might be a little too rich for the Town of Southampton’s blood.

The town had hoped to buy the site to house affordable housing, and while an initial offer to buy it was rejected, officials haven’t given up hope.

“We’re trying to figure this out,” Supervisor Jay Schneiderman said. “We made an offer and got rejected. I thought it was a good offer.”

The offer, which lawmakers refrained from disclosing, was based on an appraisal the town authorized in 2021.

By law, the town is bound by its appraisal and can’t offer more, even as participants in the online auction. Other legal hurdles could stand in the way as well.

If the town’s bid is accepted, according to the supervisor, the town would have to move forward with taking ownership, according to the auction’s rules. But, officials can’t commit to a purchase without holding public hearings and undergoing its own municipal process.

“It’s a weird situation,” the lawmaker said.

Still, he feels an outside developer could also confront obstacles. “They’d have to go through a subdivision process,” he said, “and who knows what they’d end up with.

“We were hoping the federal government, knowing what we’re trying to do with affordable homes, they’d work with us,” he added. “But they seem to feel they just want the highest number they could get.”

Located off Stewart Avenue, the property is home to 24 duplexes, ranging in size from 1,948 to 5,917 square feet, plus two single-family units, and an office/workshop, according to the auction website. Built in 1977, it underwent renovations in 2011. Half the units underwent asbestos remediation, half did not.

First word of a potential auction circulated in 2018, but there had been talk of selling the property for years prior to that. The COVID pandemic stalled the move, according to Paul Hughes of the Public Affairs Office of the United States General Services Administration. He said the property was offered to the town “at fair market value” in 2022.

Overall, the site has a rundown appearance. The grass is brown and siding was falling off a building right at the entrance, a stone crumbles from a wall identifying the development as a Coast Guard property. The gate to the development is secured with a bungee cord.

Hughes said most of the units are habitable, but Southampton Town Councilwoman Cyndi McNamara acknowledged that many units were worse for wear. She said that if the town wins the auction, officials would most likely partner with a nonprofit organization to make nice, affordable units.

Town Housing Director Kara Bak affirmed that money from the recently approved Community Housing Fund could assist in a project there.

“There’s no plan for it to be rentals,” McNamara emphasized. “We always looked for individual homeownership.”

That promise may provide a measure of relief for neighbors in the Hampton West development just across Stewart Avenue, should the town’s bid win. Since word of an auction first circulated five years ago, they’ve feared an absentee landlord would purchase the units and rent them as low-income dwellings.

“We’re really concerned about the impact to the community. How is this going to affect us?” Sharon Frost, vice president of the Hampton West Residents Association, said this week.

She believes people were still living in the staff houses up until two weeks ago. Then a sign advertising the auction went up and, according to Frost, “Nobody knows what’s going on.”

Frost said she and the association have been watching the property since 2011, when discussions about selling the surplus housing first began.

An individual, first-time homebuyer program could mesh well and “protect the integrity of the neighborhood,” Frost said.

The worry for neighbors is an absentee landlord who rents the homes through the federally subsidized Section 8 housing program. Longtime residents have been through that before.

Speaking to The Press when the auction news first surfaced in 2018, the association’s president, Forest Markowitz, recalled buying his home in 1979. It was a time when homes were rented by absentee landlords and the neighborhood struggled with crime.

While neighbors are steeped in concern about who might buy the property, affordable housing advocate Michael Daly of East End YIMBY sees a potential for easing the crushing crisis in affordable housing.

“The modest, underused, and aging Coast Guard housing near Gabreski Airport has been a much sought-after commodity for years by developers and Southampton Town for potential development of community housing,” he said.

“While East End YIMBY sees the dramatic need for more community housing east of the Shinnecock Canal, we hope that whoever wins the auction bid will either renovate the existing homes or create new homes for our local teachers, firefighters, EMTs, health care workers, seniors and young people who grew up on the East End and wish to stay here near family, friends and their jobs.”

You May Also Like:

East Quogue To Get Tax Funding Via New District for Upkeep of Main Street, Gardens

Southampton Town officials this week approved creating a special taxing district for the hamlet of ... 29 Aug 2025 by Michael Wright

Optimum Reverses Course on Public Access With Plan To Restore LTV, Sea-TV Channels in September

After an uproar from public access stations regionwide, Optimum has announced its intent to reverse ... by Jack Motz

Highway Cannabis Dispensary Sues Southampton Town Over Approval Delays

The owners of a cannabis dispensary that had tried to open last fall before receiving ... 28 Aug 2025 by Michael Wright

Dry Times: Tracking Water Hogs and the Fight to Conserve | 27Speaks Podcast

It’s been a hot, dry summer, and in late July the Suffolk County Water Authority ... by 27Speaks

Sag Harbor Village Police Reports for the Week of August 28

SAG HARBOR VILLAGE — Sag Harbor Village Police arrested Billy Jose Salazar, 51, of Coral Springs, Florida, early in the morning on August 20 on felony charges of DWI. According to police, initial contact with Salazar was made when an officer responded to a report of a man lying in the street next to the open driver’s side door on a pickup truck on Bay Street. According to police, it was Salazar who was lying on the ground with a visible head wound, apparently from falling out of the truck. He told police that he had been driving the truck, ... 27 Aug 2025 by Staff Writer

Southampton Police Reports for the Week of August 28

QUOGUE — On Wednesday, August 20, at 8:53 p.m., Quogue Village Police received a report that an unknown individual had entered someone’s private residence on Meadow Lane and took two bicycles valued at approximately $1,700. After investigating, police were able to identify a suspect, who was arrested two days later at 10:17 a.m. at Quogue Village Police Department. The suspect was identified as Omar Chalco Prado, 37, of Shirley. He was charged with fourth-degree grand larceny, a felony, and was released on an appearance ticket. The stolen bikes were located and will be returned. QUOGUE — On August 14, a ... by Staff Writer

Divided Southampton Town Board Approves Funding for Affordable Housing on Quiogue

A divided Southampton Town Board narrowly approved a long-settled agreement to direct $2.7 million in funding from the town’s Community Housing Fund to a 79-unit workforce housing apartment complex planned for a former laundromat property on Quiogue. Councilman Bill Pell took the opportunity of the Town Board’s final vote to approve the housing fund contribution on Tuesday night, August 26, to try to force the project developers back to square one with their proposal, which he said he thinks was ill conceived on Quiogue. Supervisor Maria Moore also voted against approving the funding, saying that she thought it should simply ... by Michael Wright

Photos: The 50th Annual Hampton Classic

The 50th Hampton Classic began on August 24 and continues through August 31 at the ... by Staff Writer

New Principal Gets Warm Welcome at Southampton Elementary School

As far as Melissa Danowski is concerned, everyone who works in an elementary school wants ... by Michelle Trauring

A Golden Age

It was just a couple of years ago, during the height of the COVID pandemic, when it seemed very likely that the days of movie theaters were numbered, or at least the idea of a small-town cinema was beginning to look endangered. At the time, of course, nobody was going out much, and gathering places like theaters were largely closed. But that crisis started to feel like a death knell: In 2020, global box office revenue went down by 70 percent. That came on the heels of an evolving climate for moviegoing. Streaming services offering 4K resolution on home television ... by Editorial Board