NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN, that a Public Hearing of the qualified voters of the Sag Harbor Union Free School District, Towns of Southampton and East Hampton, Suffolk County, New York, will be held remotely, in said district on May 10, 2021, at 6:30 pm, prevailing time, for the transaction of business as authorized by the Education Law, including the following items:
1. To present to the voters a detailed statement of the amount of money which will be required for the 2021-2022 fiscal year.
2. To discuss all the items hereinafter set forth to be voted upon by voting tabulator at the Budget Vote and Election to be held on Tuesday, May 18, 2021.
3. To transact such other business as may properly come before the meeting pursuant to Education Law of the State of New York and acts amendatory thereto.
AND FURTHER NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN that a copy of the statement of the amount of money which will be required to fund the School District’s budget for 2021-2022, exclusive of public moneys, may be obtained by any resident of the District beginning May 4, 2021, between the hours of 7:30 am – 2:30 pm, prevailing time, except Saturday, Sunday or holidays at the Office of the District Clerk, 200 Jermain Avenue, Sag Harbor, New York 11963, at John Jermain Memorial Library, 201 Main Street, Sag Harbor, NY 11963 and on the District’s internet website.
AND FURTHER NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN, that said Budget Vote and Election will be held on Tuesday, May 18, 2021, in the Pierson High School Gym between the hours of 7:00 am – 9:00 pm prevailing time, at which time the polls will be opened to vote by voting tabulator upon the following items:
1. To adopt the annual budget of the School District for the fiscal year 2021-2022 and to authorize the requisite portion thereof to be raised by taxation on the taxable property of the District.
2. To elect two (2) members of the Board of Education for a three (3) year term commencing July 1, 2021, and expiring on June 30, 2024 to fill the positions held by Susan Schaefer and Jordana Sobey, whose terms expires on June 30, 2021.
3. Shall the Board of Education of the Sag Harbor Union Free School District be authorized pursuant to Section 3651 of the Education Law to establish a reserve fund to be known as the “Facilities Improvement Capital Reserve Fund” for the purpose of providing the following capital improvements: instructional and non-instructional space improvements/ renovations/upgrades, (including but not limited to classroom improvements/ renovations/upgrades and/or additions to existing facilities), auditorium renovations, gymnasium renovations, cafeteria renovations, library/multi media center renovations, exterior renovations/reconstruction, computer/technology upgrades, security system upgrades, plumbing improvements/renovations/upgrades, electrical improvements/renovations/upgrades, HVAC improvements/renovations/upgrades, energy efficiency improvements/renovation/upgrades, including the installation of solar power, improvements/renovations/upgrades, renovations required for compliance with ADA requirements, vocational and career preparation renovations, portable classroom replacement and/or purchase, roof/gutter/leader replacement, window replacement, masonry/concrete replacement, interior and exterior door/entry ways replacement, toilet room renovations, lighting upgrades, floor replacement, wall replacement, boiler replacements, elevators, carpentry renovations, purchase of buildings/land, site renovations/reconstruction, press box/dugout/field house improvements/renovations/ upgrades, bleacher improvements/renovations/upgrades, upgrades of signs, athletic field renovations/reconstruction, playground renovations, lockers/locker room renovations, public address/clock system replacement, sound system upgrades, telephone system upgrades, hazardous material remediation, storage space renovations, furnishings and equipment, including the purchase of vehicles, all of the foregoing to include all labor, materials, equipment, apparatus and incidental cost related thereto?
The maximum amount of the Facilities Improvement Cap-ital Reserve Fund shall be $15,000,000, plus investment income. The Facilities Im-provement Capital Reserve Fund shall be for a probable term of fifteen (15) years. The source of funding for the Facilities Improvement Capital Fund shall include: (1) transferring the remaining balance of $2,943,535, plus interest, from the Facilities Renovation Reserve Fund, which fund shall be closed; and (2) thereafter, in any year during the probable term of the Reserve Fund authorized by the Board of Education in an amount not to exceed $1,500,000 in any year, which such sums to be obtained from the end of year surplus funds and/or budget appropriations.
4. Shall the Board of Education of the Sag Harbor Union Free School District be authorized to purchase one (1) new 2021 GMC/Chevy Chassis/Thomas Minotour Body Model School Bus at an estimated maximum cost of $58,766.00 Dollars, and to appropriate and spend such amount from the Transporta-tion Fleet Capital Reserve Fund, which was previously established following a proposition of the voters of the District on May 16, 2017?
5. Shall the District Clerk of the Sag Harbor Union Free School District be authorized to conduct the registration of the voters between the hours of 8:00 am and 3:00 pm when school is in session at the office of the District Clerk in accordance with Education Law §2014(2)?
AND FURTHER NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN, that pursuant to Section 495 of the Real Property Tax Law, the School District is required to attach to its proposed budget an exemption report. Said exemption report, which will also become part of the final budget, will show how the total assessed value of the final assessment roll used in the budgetary process is exempt from taxation, list every type of exemption granted by the statutory authority, and show the cumulative impact of each type of exemption, the cumulative amount expected to be received as payments in lieu of taxes (PILOT) and the cumulative impact of all exemptions granted. In addition, said exemption report shall be posted on any bulletin board maintained by the District for public notices and on any website maintained by the District.
AND FURTHER NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN, that petitions nominating candidates for the office of member of the Board of Education shall be filed with the Clerk of said School District at her office in 200 Jermain Avenue, Sag Harbor, New York 11963, not later than April 19, 2021, between 9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., prevailing time. Each petition shall be directed to the Clerk of the District; must be signed by at least 25 qualified voters of the District;
AND FURTHER NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN, that personal registration of voters is required either pursuant to Section 2014 of the Education Law, or pursuant to Article 5 of the Election Law. If a voter has heretofore registered pursuant to Section 2014 of the Education Law and has voted at an annual or special district meeting within the last four (4) calendar years, he or she is eligible to vote at this election. If a voter is registered and eligible to vote under Article 5 of the Election Law, he or she is also eligible to vote at this election. All other persons who wish to vote must register.
The Board of Registration will meet for the purpose of registering all qualified voters of the District pursuant to Section 2014 of the Education Law on the May 13, 2021 from 10:00 am – 2:00 pm in the District Office Conference Room at the Pierson Middle/ High School, prevailing time, to add any additional names to the Register to be used at the aforesaid election, at which time any person will be entitled to have his or her name placed on such Register provided that at such meeting of said Board of Registration he or she is known or proven to the satisfaction of such Board of Registration to be then or thereafter entitled to vote at such election for which the Register is prepared. The Register so prepared pursuant to Section 2014 of the Education Law will be filed in the Office of the District Clerk, 200 Jermain Avenue, Sag Harbor, New York 11963 and will be open for inspection by any qualified voter of the District beginning on Friday, May 14, 2021, between the hours of 8:00 am – 3:00 pm, prevailing time, on each day prior to the day set for the election, except Sunday, and at the polling place(s) on the day of the vote.
AND FURTHER NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN, that military voters who are not currently registered may apply to register as a qualified voter of the school district. A Military Voter Registration Application can be requested by emailing the District Clerk at email@example.com
g, fax at 631-725-5330, in person, or by mailing the District Clerk at 200 Jermain Avenue, Sag Harbor, New York 11963. The Military Voter Registr-ation Application must be received in the office of the District Clerk no later than 5:00 pm on April 22, 2021. In the request for an application for registration, the military voter is permitted to designate his/her preference for receiving the application for registration by mail, facsimile transmission or electronic mail.
AND FURTHER NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN, that military voters who are qualified voters of the district may submit an Application for Military Ballot by emailing the District Clerk at firstname.lastname@example.org
, fax at 631-725-5330, in person, or by mailing the District Clerk at 200 Jermain Avenue, Sag Harbor, New York 11963. The application for registration must be received in the office of the District Clerk no later than 5:00 pm on April 22, 2021. In the request for an Application for Military Ballot, the military voter is permitted to designate his/her preference for receiving the application for a military ballot, and the military ballot, by mail, facsimile transmission or electronic mail. All qualified Application for Military Ballot and Military Ballot must be returned by mail or in person.
Ballots for military voters shall be distributed to qualified military voters no later than twenty-five days before the election, April 23, 2021. Military ballots must be received by the District Clerk (1) before the close of the polls, on Tuesday, May 18, 2021, and must show a cancellation mark of the United States postal service or a foreign country’s postal service, or must show a dated endorsement of receipt by another agency of the United States Government; or (2) not later than 5:00 pm on the day of the election and be signed and dated by the military voter and one witness, with a date ascertained to be not later than the day before the election.
AND FURTHER NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN, that Absent Ballot Applications will be obtainable during school business hours from the District Clerk beginning April 20, 2021; completed applications must be received by the District Clerk no earlier than April 19, 2021 and at least seven (7) days before the election, May 11, 2021, if the ballot is to be mailed to the voter, or the day before the election, May 17, 2021, if the ballot is to be delivered personally to the voter. Absentee ballots must be received by the District Clerk not later than 5:00 p.m., prevailing time, on Tuesday, May 18, 2021.
A list of persons to whom absentee ballots are issued will be available for inspection to qualified voters of the District in the Office of the District Clerk on and after Thursday, May 13, 2021, between the hours of 8:00 am – 3:00 pm, prevailing time, on each day prior to the day set for the annual election, except Sunday, and on May 18, 2021, the day set for the election. Any qualified voter then present in the polling place may object to the voting of the ballot upon appropriate grounds by making his or her challenge and the reasons therefore known to the Inspector of Election before the close of the polls.
AND FURTHER NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN, that pursuant to a rule adopted by the Board of Education in accordance with Section 2035 of the Education Law, any referenda or propositions to amend the budget, or otherwise to be submitted for voting at said election, must be filed with the Clerk of the Board of Education at the District Office, 200 Jermain Avenue, Sag Harbor, New York 11963, in sufficient time to permit notice of the proposition to be included with the Notice of the Public Hearing, Budget Vote and Election required by Section 2004 of the Education Law or on or before April 19, 2021, at 3:00 pm, prevailing time; must be typed or printed in the English language; must be directed to the Clerk of the School District; must be signed by at least 25 qualified voters of the District; and must legibly state the name of each signer. However, the School Board will not entertain any petition to place before the voters any proposition the purpose of which is not within the powers of the voters to determine, which is unlawful, or any proposition which fails to include a specific appropriation where the expenditure of monies is required by the proposition, or where other valid reason exists for excluding the proposition from the ballot.