I write these Letters to the Editor to put ideas on the table that may influence people’s minds and behavior. What is happening in this world is detrimental to the future of our planet; collectively, we can make a difference.
Here are a few simple examples:
1. Stop using harmful fertilizers and weed control chemicals to achieve the perfect lawn. Understand that these have harmful effects on our water supply and more.
2. Get an electric car. Getting a Tesla was the best decision I’ve ever made. I’ve had many luxury cars over the years, and this is the best on so many counts.
3. Invest in solar — it will save you money. If you’re on the fence about it, just go for it.
4. Drive less. When possible, share a ride with a fellow worker or a neighbor. If you’re driving, remember, excessive speeds consume more fuel.
5. Clean up our public spaces. Take a bag to the beach or park and pick up litter and plastic. Seeing the impact is rewarding, and it’s great exercise.
6. Consider induction cooking in your kitchen. It is more efficient and therefore saves on resources. Boil water in 90 seconds.
7. Be conscious of your carbon footprint. Educate yourself on how we’re impacting the Earth and what you can do to help minimize harm.
8. Consume meat alternatives when you can. There are more options than ever in this category, like the Impossible Burger. Meat and dairy account for 14.5 percent of global greenhouse emissions (source: UN’s Food and Agricultural Organization).
9. If you’re constructing a new home, use as much recycled material as possible. The quality is just as good.
10. Use geothermal and a heat pump to heat and cool your house. Also, a bladder system to heat your pool.
Now, something that most people are unaware of: Sixty acres of the forest takes 84 tons of carbon out of the air yearly. The same 60-acre solar farm takes 38,000 tons of carbon out of the air annually. I know this from an environmental study I was required to get to build that solar farm. It took seven years to get the permit to build, and only six months to build.
Something is wrong with that picture.
One fine body…