Southampton Village ARB Denies Application To Tear Down Jaffe-Designed Home On Meadow Lane - 27 East

Southampton Village ARB Denies Application To Tear Down Jaffe-Designed Home On Meadow Lane

icon 1 Photo
The Southampton Village ARB unanimously denied the request to allow the Norman Jaffe-designed house at 88 Meadow Lane to be demolished.

The Southampton Village ARB unanimously denied the request to allow the Norman Jaffe-designed house at 88 Meadow Lane to be demolished.

authorCailin Riley on Dec 15, 2021

The Southampton Village Architectural and Historical Review Board voted unanimously on Monday night, December 13, to deny a certificate of appropriateness to Orest Bliss, the owner of an oceanfront home at 88 Meadow Lane built by famed architect Norman Jaffe.

Without the certificate, Bliss cannot proceed with a desired plan to demolish the house — which he commissioned Jaffe to build in the 1970s — and build a new one.

The ARB members cast their votes after listening to architect Susan Snyder and historical preservation expert George Thomas. The pair, based in the Philadelphia area, presented the case for granting the certificate, with a detailed digital presentation. The ARB also heard from Bliss’s lawyer, Southampton attorney John Bennett, and New York attorney Valerie Campbell, representing Bliss.

In September, a consultant’s report had found the house to be architecturally and historically significant, and a “contributing resource” to the village.

At that meeting, Bennett said he felt that the consultant, Alastair Gordon, was a problematic choice for that role. Gordon, an architecture critic who writes for The Wall Street Journal, The New York Times and other publications, is the author of “Romantic Modernist: The Life and Work of Norman Jaffe, Architect, 1932-1993” and curated a related retrospective exhibition of Jaffe’s work in 2005 at the Parrish Art Museum.

Bennett argued that Gordon’s well-documented affinity for Jaffe-designed houses essentially renders him incapable of making an unbiased decision.

Bennett and the experts making the case for granting the certificate argued that extensive renovations made to the home over the years diminished its significance, leading to a loss of “site integrity,” and they also pointed out that two other Jaffe-designed homes on Meadow Lane had been demolished, after review, in recent years.

They also made the case that the 88 Meadow Lane home was not one of Jaffe’s most lauded works, pointing out that it was given minimal attention in Gordon’s monograph.

Their arguments seemed to fall on deaf ears.

ARB member Peter DeWitt pointed out that code states that property setting is an important factor.

“I maintain that [the home] is a contributing structure, because it allows the landscape of Meadow Lane to predominate,” he said, pointing out that the home and the roofline in particular were designed to flow seamlessly into the slope of the dunes, a design feature that is increasingly rare to find and is therefore significant.

“I think the setting makes it worthy of saving,” he added, while pointing out that there are not many Jaffe-designed homes left in Southampton Village.

The fact that previous Jaffe homes in the village had been demolished was not a reason to allow another one to be demolished, he said. “I don’t think we should repeat a precedent we’d review as injurious to our heritage,” he said. “Opinions evolve, and boards evolve.”

ARB member Mark McIntire pointed out that it was the first Jaffe home built in Southampton on Meadow Lane, and at that time it caused a different kind of controversy than it is causing now.

“It ushered in a new style of homes being built on Meadow Lane,” he said. “And the controversy that it caused is what makes it significant. Subsequent houses built later on were based on this home.”

The ARB’s decision is likely not the final chapter in the story.

On Tuesday, Bennett did not rule out the possibility of bringing a lawsuit against the ARB but said he still needed to consult with his client about the next steps. He did not mince words when it came to his assessment of the ARB’s decision.

“It was a purely unsupported, goal-oriented decision that had nothing to do with the appropriate standards,” he said.

“If you look at the entire literature supporting the creation of the Southampton Village Historic District, you will not find anything before the 1940s,” he added. “If you want to change the whole structure of the district, you have to do it legislatively and after study, in the correct way.

“There are rules,” he continued. “From a fact-based and legal-based point of view, they have issued a decision that has nothing to do with the appropriate standards.”

The ARB will have a written decision at its next meeting, set for January 10, when it will likely adopt the decision.

You May Also Like:

East Quogue To Get Tax Funding Via New District for Upkeep of Main Street, Gardens

Southampton Town officials this week approved creating a special taxing district for the hamlet of ... 29 Aug 2025 by Michael Wright

Optimum Reverses Course on Public Access With Plan To Restore LTV, Sea-TV Channels in September

After an uproar from public access stations regionwide, Optimum has announced its intent to reverse ... by Jack Motz

Highway Cannabis Dispensary Sues Southampton Town Over Approval Delays

The owners of a cannabis dispensary that had tried to open last fall before receiving ... 28 Aug 2025 by Michael Wright

Dry Times: Tracking Water Hogs and the Fight to Conserve | 27Speaks Podcast

It’s been a hot, dry summer, and in late July the Suffolk County Water Authority ... by 27Speaks

Sag Harbor Village Police Reports for the Week of August 28

SAG HARBOR VILLAGE — Sag Harbor Village Police arrested Billy Jose Salazar, 51, of Coral Springs, Florida, early in the morning on August 20 on felony charges of DWI. According to police, initial contact with Salazar was made when an officer responded to a report of a man lying in the street next to the open driver’s side door on a pickup truck on Bay Street. According to police, it was Salazar who was lying on the ground with a visible head wound, apparently from falling out of the truck. He told police that he had been driving the truck, ... 27 Aug 2025 by Staff Writer

Southampton Police Reports for the Week of August 28

QUOGUE — On Wednesday, August 20, at 8:53 p.m., Quogue Village Police received a report that an unknown individual had entered someone’s private residence on Meadow Lane and took two bicycles valued at approximately $1,700. After investigating, police were able to identify a suspect, who was arrested two days later at 10:17 a.m. at Quogue Village Police Department. The suspect was identified as Omar Chalco Prado, 37, of Shirley. He was charged with fourth-degree grand larceny, a felony, and was released on an appearance ticket. The stolen bikes were located and will be returned. QUOGUE — On August 14, a ... by Staff Writer

Divided Southampton Town Board Approves Funding for Affordable Housing on Quiogue

A divided Southampton Town Board narrowly approved a long-settled agreement to direct $2.7 million in funding from the town’s Community Housing Fund to a 79-unit workforce housing apartment complex planned for a former laundromat property on Quiogue. Councilman Bill Pell took the opportunity of the Town Board’s final vote to approve the housing fund contribution on Tuesday night, August 26, to try to force the project developers back to square one with their proposal, which he said he thinks was ill conceived on Quiogue. Supervisor Maria Moore also voted against approving the funding, saying that she thought it should simply ... by Michael Wright

Photos: The 50th Annual Hampton Classic

The 50th Hampton Classic began on August 24 and continues through August 31 at the ... by Staff Writer

New Principal Gets Warm Welcome at Southampton Elementary School

As far as Melissa Danowski is concerned, everyone who works in an elementary school wants ... by Michelle Trauring

A Golden Age

It was just a couple of years ago, during the height of the COVID pandemic, when it seemed very likely that the days of movie theaters were numbered, or at least the idea of a small-town cinema was beginning to look endangered. At the time, of course, nobody was going out much, and gathering places like theaters were largely closed. But that crisis started to feel like a death knell: In 2020, global box office revenue went down by 70 percent. That came on the heels of an evolving climate for moviegoing. Streaming services offering 4K resolution on home television ... by Editorial Board